A lot of people have made it into the Guinness Book of World Records, but today we’re looking at some of the most bizarre world records that have ever existed.
Click HERE to download the Weekly English Practice as a PDF.
to make it into sth: to succeed in entering sth
aka / A.K.A.: also known as
to stretch sth: to extend sth elastic
foot / feet: a measurement equivalent to 30.48cm
inch(es): a measurement equivalent to 2,54cm
to suffer from sth: to have an illness
to get in shape: to work to have good health
award: a prize given for an achievement
can: a sealed metal container for food or drink, usually cylindrical in shape
macaw: a brightly coloured parrot from Central and South America
to set sth: to determine or establish sth
to spin sth (past: spun): to rotate sth quickly
Listen to the audio and read the text.
The weirdest of the Guinness World Records
1. World’s longest tongue.
Nick Stoeberl aka “The Lick” from California holds the record for longest tongue, measuring 10.10 cm. Woah!
2. World’s stretchiest skin.
Due to a rare medical condition called Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, Garry Turner from Britain can stretch the skin of his stomach to 6.25 inches.
3. Longest fingernails in the world.
Lee Redmond from the United States started growing her nails way back in 1979. They are 28 feet and 4 inches long in total.
4. Longest moustache in the world.
Ram Singh Chauhan, from India, has the longest moustache at 14 feet. He hasn’t cut his facial hair for over 37 years.
5. Heaviest weight lifted by a human beard.
In 2013, Antanas Kontrimas from Lithuania lifted 63.80 kg with his beard.
6. Largest hairy family.
This title is held by Victor “Larry” Gomez and three other members of a large family from Mexico who all suffer from a rare condition called congenital generalised hypertrichosis (excessive facial and torso hair).
7. Oldest male stripper.
Berne Barker from the USA got into stripping when he was 60 years old to get in shape after recovering from prostate cancer. He won the award in 2002, but sadly died just five years later.
8. Most cans opened by a parrot in one minute.
In 2012, a macaw named Zac set the world record by opening 35 canned drinks in one minute.
9. World’s longest legs.
At just 17 years old, Maci Currin from the USA set a world record for having the world’s longest legs (female), and the longest legs on a teenager. Her left leg measures 135.267cm, while her right leg measures 134.3cm. She is 205cm tall, her legs making up 60% of her total height!
10. Spinning a basketball on a toothbrush for the greatest duration.
Sandeep Singh Kaila from Canada did the weirdest thing you can imagine. He spun a basketball on a toothbrush for 1 minute, 8.15 seconds in January 2019 and established a new world record.
Adapted from this article by ECP coach Ali Keable
Let’s chat about that
- Which of these Guinness World Records is the weirdest, in your opinion?
- Which would be the most difficult to achieve? Why?
- If you were going to try and set a world record, what would it be and why?
- Do you think the Guinness World Records are important, or simply a waste of time?
- What motivates people to participate in this award?
- What other unusual or memorable world records have you heard of?